First opened as a nine-hole course in 1925, Magrath Golf Club is located on the southwest edge of the Town of Magrath, an established 18 hole course with a driving range, 2 practice greens, a fleet of 70 golf carts, and irrigation water lease and pump contributing to outstanding playing conditions all summer long. Weather conditions frequently allow for one of the earliest opening dates in Alberta. It is not unusual to be fully operational in early to mid-March and remain open through October weather permitting.
The Golf Course Superintendent is the leader and director of the Magrath Golf Club facilities and grounds and reports to the Board Liaison regularly and the Board of Directors of the Magrath Golf Club at regular Board Meetings. The Golf Club Superintendent is required to prepare and preserve the Magrath Golf Club and facilities through all stages of the calendar year to maximize the playability and enjoyment of the Golf Club by our members and Green fee players. Magrath Golf Club is seeking a self-starting organized individual committed to individual growth as a Golf Course Superintendent. MGC seeks a leader and mentor of those for whom the Superintendent is responsible. The ultimate goal of the Superintendent and team is to produce the best possible turf grass and playing conditions.
*Establish short and long-range plans for the golf course
*Develop equipment management and capital replacement plans
*Prepare an annual agronomic plan suited to the region, soil and conditions aligned within the annual budget
*Communicate frequently with the Designated Board Liaison to discuss plans, activities, goals and member/client feedback
*Schedule maintenance activities around member play and outings to maximize efficiency, season of play, and minimize disruption to members and guests
*Manage and oversee all golf course capital improvement projects
*Interviews, hires, supervises, develops, disciplines and releases the greenkeeping and maintenance staff.
*Administers and enforces all Club rules, regulations and policies for the greenkeeping and maintenance team.
* Implements and enforces the comprehensive safety programs for maintenance employees in compliance for local, provincial & federal laws
* Attends staff and Board meetings; prepares monthly reports for board meetings
* Coordinates scheduling for all personnel assigned to the maintenance department
* Prepares and maintains all record keeping for the maintenance department (i.e. HR files, Inventory files, fertilization and chemical logs)
* Create, distribute and present reports of maintenance activities as required
* Prepares, reviews and updates the grounds manual
* Prepare the annual operating budget and capital improvements budget for the maintenance department; takes corrective actions as necessary to help assure budget goals are met
* Supervises and controls all maintenance expenses associated with Golf Course Operations, including payroll, supplies, chemicals and fertilizers
* Reconciles and provides timely coding of all invoices, payroll and other required documents
* Implements sound purchasing procedures utilizing preferred vendors when possible
* Manages parts inventory and oversees all repairs and scheduled maintenance for all golf course maintenance equipment
* Protect the companies interests by an awareness of and a compliance of all applicable regulations including course and company policies
* Ensures the chemicals, petroleum and other controlled products are used, stored and disposed of in accordance with local, state and federal regulations. Maintains required records.
* Communicates frequently with Board Liaison, Secretary Treasurer and Head Golf Professional to discuss conditions, activities and member/client feedback to ensure the golf course is providing healthy and high quality playing conditions
*Responsible to oversee and maintain or facilitate the maintenance where required for the entire property, clubhouse, restaurant, maintenance shop, storage buildings and equipment.
* Supervises maintenance and operation of drainage, irrigation and other mechanical water systems, completing the necessary reports for the irrigation district.
* Plans, organizes and directs the maintenance and construction of putting green, Practice facility, tees, fairways, rough and bunkers.
* Oversees all planting, fertilizing and chemical applications and other care of turf plants, shrubs and trees on the golf course and clubhouse surroundings
* Ensures that all associates obtain proper training and/or licenses needed to perform job tasks safely and within city, provincial and federal regulations. Addresses all real or perceived environmental concerns.
* Coordinates snow removal and winter maintenance activities
* Attends turf conferences, equipment shows, workshops and other educational programs to maintain current knowledge of technical and turf innovations and changes that could affect the departments operation
* Maintains membership in a related trade association
* Degree or Certificate in Turf Grass Management from a recognized school
* Drivers License
* Alberta Pesticide Applicators License
* 3+ Years of Turf Grass Management Experience (Golf Industry)
* Strong Analytical and Problem Solving Skills
* Must be highly organized and efficient with a high attention to detail
* Must have exceptional communication and interpersonal skills
* Must have basic computer skills - Microsoft Word & Excel
* Must have knowledge of budgeting and expense management
* Mechanical knowledge and skills is an asset
* Project Management / Renovations experience preferred, but not required
* Year-Round Employment
* Competitive salary commensurate with experience, education, and training
* 3 weeks of holidays; 1 in season; 2 offseason
* Benefits package
* Complimentary Golf
Thank you for your interest. Only selected candidates will be contacted.